Grand Junction City Manager Greg Caton has appointed long-term City employee Jay Valentine to serve as the director of the newly created General Services Department. The appointment will take effect right away.
Valentine was hired by the City of Grand Junction as an Accountant Analyst in 1999. In the time he has been an employee of the City, Jay has demonstrated his diverse skillset and has achieved promotion several times serving as Accounting Supervisor, Purchasing and Fleet Manager, Assistant Financial Operations Manager and Internal Services Manager. He had most recently been promoted to Deputy Director of Finance. Jay earned a Bachelor of Finance from the University of Northern Colorado and a Master of Public Administration from the University of Colorado. He is also certified as a Public Funds Investment Manager and a Certified Government Investment Professional.
The functions and responsibilities under the General Services Department will include:
- Fleet Operations – fueling, acquisition and disposal, and maintenance
- Facilities – maintenance and janitorial, energy management, and special building projects
- Procurement – purchasing, warehousing, surplus property, and contract management
- Projects Team – Cross-departmental projects
- Business Management – Tiara Rado and Lincoln Park golf courses, parking, investment management, budget development assistance, debt management, and capital management
City Manager Greg Caton states, “Jay has already been responsible for the majority of these areas. I made the decision that moving golf operations under Jay’s direction made good sense given the very financial and business-like nature of the function. The breadth of all Jay’s responsibilities made it clear to me that collectively this was too big to put under the umbrella of the Finance Department and that a new department was warranted. Jay has certainly proven his worth and his competence over his many years of service with the City, so this was a very logical decision. I am confident he will do a great job and that these areas will achieve operational excellence under his leadership and management.”
Contact: Sam Rainguet, Communications Manager 970-244-1507 or email@example.com